Thursday, October 1, 2015

31 Days of Moments: An Introduction

Deep breath.

In.

Out.

My fingers drop onto the keys, unsteady, waiting, tense. They're ready; I'm not.

Maybe one more deep breath.

In.

Out.

Where do I even begin? How do I start something like this?

I mean, it's not like I haven't done it before... I mean, not this, specifically, but, you know... This. Writing. Blogging. Whatever.

I don't know, I guess maybe this time it's different? ...More honest? ...More real? I don't know.

What if no one reads it?

What if someone does?

In.

Out.

Here goes...

Click, click, click... Tapping away at keys, tentatively, nervously. One word. Two words. Three. Four. Five. Six words. I have a sentence. One sentence. That's good enough, right?

No, I sigh. There has to be more.

In.

Out.

I can do this.

I can't do this.

My mother will kill me.

I don't care.

Okay, I care.

I just won't tell her.

What if she finds out anyway?

She won't.

Who am I kidding? She's a mom. She'll know.

In.

Out.

Does it even matter? Isn't it time I stopped worrying what they think? Come on.

Fingers back on keys.

In.

Out.

I can do this.

I have to.

Click.

"Let me tell you a story."
--------------------

Hey, guys. So, this kicks of my 31 Days of Blogging series, #31Days of Moments. You can follow along on social media with the hashtag #31Moments, or you can keep checking back here every day as I work my way through a month of writing down single moments.

The goal is to write 500 words or more about moments of 5 minutes or less. I thought it appropriate to write about a moment of blogging for this introduction post. This is the moment I began the blog series that ultimately led to the writing of my memoir (in-progress), Lost Girl: Found.

I'm doing this blog series for two reasons.

First, to challenge myself. To force myself to write, just for a few minutes, each day.

Second, to practice resting in the details. I tend to tell lengthy overarching stories, skipping over the little moments, in favor of sweeping summary. The purpose of this series is to force me to take time to appreciate the little things, to pay attention to them, savor them, remember them.

This series will be broken down into "weeks" beginning every Saturday (except this one, obviously.) Each week will have its own theme, announced at the beginning of the week. All the posts in the series will be linked at the bottom of this page, so they can be found easily. Additionally, each post will link to this page, the previous post, and the next post in the series.

This is Day One. There are thirty more.

Are you with me?

--------------------
background photo courtesy of albumarium.com: [AndreasS]
Week One: #EverydayMoments
Day One: Introduction
Day Two: Pounce
Day Three: Drips
Day Four:
Day Five:
Day Six:
Day Seven:
Day Eight:
Day Nine:

Week Two:
Day Ten:
Day Eleven:
Day Twelve:
Day Thirteen:
Day Fourteen:
Day Fifteen:
Day Sixteen:

Week Three:
Day Seventeen:
Day Eighteen:
Day Nineteen:
Day Twenty:
Day Twenty-One:
Day Twenty-Two:
Day Twenty-Three:

Week Four:
Day Twenty-Four:
Day Twenty-Five:
Day Twenty-Six:
Day Twenty-Seven:
Day Twenty-Eight:
Day Twenty-Nine:
Day Thirty:
Conclusion:

No comments:

Post a Comment